Saturday, August 13, 2005

(M)eagerly anticipated Venice Biennale Review

Wow, I have been really late on this update.
Sorry folks, all 3 of you who read this.
My girlfriend and I have been on vacation in the Italian alps, and not spending too much time in front of a computer.

We really are in the mountains, there's a bat flying around outside, I can hear it's sonar go, "squeak squeak."

I kept planning to write a review of the Venice Biennale, but I kept putting it off.
But I had to eventually do it, and here it is, finally.

Venice was so hot and humid, and in the International Pavilion, I got attacked by mosquitos. I had 10 bites on my legs and they didn't heal very fast, I think I may have been allergic to this particular breed of mosquito. They must like my high blood sugar, I need to eat more garlic or something.
And Venice is really crowded with tourists in the summer. Imagine being stuck in a crowded bus-boat with a lot of other sweaty and stinky tourists, and you're starting to get the picture.
As a result, it was difficult to really appreciate any art, when it was 90+ degrees in the gallery space.

My friend Glenn Zucman used to rate gallery openings by the quality of the food and drinks, and not on the quality of the artwork itself. In the case of the Venice Biennale, I am rating the exhibits by the quality of the air conditioning. So...
Gilbert & George recieve extremely high marks, thanks to the great A/C in the British Pavilion. Likewise for Ed Ruscha and the great air conditioning in the U.S.A.'s Pavilion.
Good marks go to the artists representing Denmark, Korea, and Isreal, and their well-conditioned national pavilions.
Poor marks go to Gabriela Fridriksdottir representing Iceland, and their pavilion, which was a grass hut, outside, in the heat and humidity. (To be fair, Fridriksdottir's artwork was interesting: a multi-media exploration and updating of Icelandic myth and legend, but it was too fucking hot!)
The worst was Jeroen de Rijke & Willem de Rooy, who represented the Netherlands. They had a boring hour-long-art-movie, in a big pavilion with NO air conditioning or ventilation at all! Video art with no A/C. Two thumbs down, and the middle finger!

While there WAS some great work in the Arsenal, it was just too hot... to...think... about ...anything...except...air...conditioning.
And there were some great pieces, particularily by Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas and Argentinian artist Sergio Vega. But there was NO A/C in the whole Arsenal. So forget it!
(O.K one serious thought) There were some giant banners by the Guerilla Girls, and while I generally agree with what they say, I feel as if their statements are supposed to be posters and billboards, and not works of art unto themselves. I wonder why curators don't take the space they give to the Guerilla Girls and simply put in more women and minority artists?

Regardless, it was too hot in the Arsenal section of the Biennale. It was just too hot and crowded in Venice altogether, and I don't want to go back there for a long time!

No comments: