Friday, December 30, 2005

Thoughts about Glenn Gould (50th anniversary edition)

I've been spending the holidays with my girlfriend and her friends and family in Northern Italy, in the city of Merano.
I went to a local book shop and picked up a few CD's, the selection is a bit limited, so I picked up a few things I probably would have skipped over in a huge record shop like Amoeba...

I have to say beforehand, that I don't know a lot about "classical" music.
I originally picked up a CD for my mom, A deluxe 50th anniversary edition of Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg Variations, recorded in 1955. Of course, it looked so nice I had to open it up and listen to it myself.
The music is intriguing, simply Gould on solo piano playing one of Bach's lesser known pieces (which, apparently, Gould made famous!) (Listening to the music, it makes me wonder if Glenn Gould's stripped down style, influenced later minimalists such as Philip Glass and Steve Reich.) There are some outtakes, and extra songs, some interesting unreleased pieces, which just add to the overall package.

But the packaging is what's so great about it.
The CD comes with a nice book, in a sturdy slipcase, and the CD itself comes in a sleeve that is a replica of the original album. The original album artwork is pretty nice, although it is classical music, the sleeve is more reminiscent of Blue Note style jazz LPs. And what's cool is the actual disc is a CD that resembles a 5" record. It has the vintage label, with grooves, and is an all black CD. Just holding it and looking at it, the cd itself is such a nice art object.
The book is a 165 page hardbound book, with EXTENSIVE notes (in English, German and French), an interview with the original producer, Columbia's original press material, relevant news articles from the era, and photos galore. Looking through the book it reminds me about the movie Twenty Two Films about Glenn Gould, I saw it a long time ago on PBS and thought it was interesting, but I barely remember it, I'm gonna have to watch it again one of these days. (It also makes me think how our neighbors up north, Canada, do such a better job at preserving their cultural legacy, but that's another subject!)
I like to see when a record label tries a little bit harder, and makes their product a little bit nicer, maybe they could get the hint and make the music come in nicer packaging, and turn the whole thing into a kind of special object, maybe people would want to buy the CD.
And the whole package cost $18, the cost of a regular CD nowadays.

I'm thinking about a few anniversary reissues that could use this treatment.
John Coltrane's Blue Train and/or A Love Supreme.
Steve Reich's Music for 18 musicians and or Drumming (although Steve Reich's gotten the Box Set treatment)
Elvis Presley's Sun sessions, Johnny Cash as well.
All the recordings by Buddy Holly (including the "Apartment" tapes, c'mon it's about time!)
The Beatles' Sargeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (I'm not even a big Beatles fan but this would be interesting)
I think the Beach Boys Pet Sounds would have been better served with this treatment, than a whole box set dedicated to one record!

No comments: