Sunday, May 29, 2005

What am I doing here?

So, here I am in front of my computer, at 2:45 am.
O.K. I was out earlier, but still...

I had a late night bike cruise through the city. Vienna on a summer night is hard to describe, it's like people are out with a vengeance, I'm sure they're still out there. After being cooped up all winter, and most of spring, people know there are only three months to enjoy the outdoors. That's why, on Sundays, they serve breakfast until 3:00 pm.
The MQ (Museum Quarter) is this immense public hangout. It's a huge courtyard, with these big brightly colored benches. And people go there to see the museums, resaurants, and just hang out. So on my way home I go through MQ, and there are, like, at least a thousand people, I'm not exaggerating. I'm probably underestimating. It's more crowded then I have ever seen it in the day.

I see two things of interest.
A group of people dancing to no music!
An party/exhibition of retooled videogame cabinets.

The people dancing were taking part in a headphone party, where everyone is wearing cordless headphones, and listening to the same music. It's just a bizarre sight, to see people dancing with no music. As I was leaving I watched a group of people enter the "dance zone." As soon as they saw what was going on, they all started laughing.

Next was a party/exhibition/arcade. The art-tech-party-geeks put together a pretty interesting display here. They presented, arcade style, a bunch of custom computer games. But they're custom programs. Like, their own games, that do something, packaged in old-school arcade game cabinets. Sorry, the text for the website is all in German. But you get the idea, welcome to my world.

http://www.insertcoin.biz

No comments: