Saturday, April 14, 2007

It's Springtime

Wow! It's Springtime, time to dust off those old shelves, throw out all those unwanted X-mas gifts, and update this biographical-log. Whew.
That said, the weather's been exceptionally beautiful, and I don't feel all that compelled to sit in front of a computer all day, I would rather be at the beach, or something (no beaches in Austria!) But, here I am, pluggin' away, because my job needs me to sit and watch a shop, and do stuff with a computer! So here we are, sorry, I haven't updated since November, but I've been sorta busy. Busy doing what you say? Well we've been slaving over a hot computer day and night to bring you the motmot online shop!!!!
Check it out: motmot shop.
You can finally get our stuff.

And I've been slaving away with pen and paper, to try to bring the world my first comics-zine. I've been contributing stuff to Vienna's own Murmel Comics for a few years, and a few friends have wanted to see the stuff, but it's impossible to get in the USA and 95percent of the comic is in German (except my stuff!) So, I'm collecting my contributions, as well as a bunch of other things I've been drawing the last few years, into a heaping 40 page tome! You can get existential with foul-mouthed dinosaurs, nihilist dodos, Sad-sack Shark, surly beavers, pissed-off elephants, and a host of others. Loads 'o laffs. I've been toying with different titles, so far it's either "RUN LIKE HELL!" or "THIS PLACE SUCKS!" It should be out sometime late spring/early summer. Available in the Motmot online shop, as well as Quimby's in Chicago, and Needles and Pins in San Francisco. You can help, by letting me know of a cool/easy going zine shop in your town!

Top List
1. "For Cal" compilation. I feel lucky to be able to call one of my personal heroes, J. Robbins, a friend. The whole Jawbox/Burning Airlines gang have always been really sweet people and have been really great to their fans. It's really sad to say, that J. and his wife have a very sick baby boy. The nice people from The Cultural Society and Catlick Records have put out an amazing 2 CD compilation. Arcwelder, Channels, David Grubbs, Joe Lally, Jawbreaker, Life and Times, and MISSION OF BURMA, are just a few bands that have contributed! It's great to see so many great bands throw down for a good cause. Go get it!
2. Trans Am: Sex Change. A return to greatness from a band that never really went downhill, but it's one of their best!
3. Trusty: A great band that lots of people never heard of, great power-pop-punk.
4. Flamin' Groovies: Shake Some Action! A classic!
5. Smoking Popes: Destination Failure. This record is 10 years old, where was I when this came out? Good poppy punk slightly-emo, but we'll let it slide because the songs are so great.
6. This American Life TV version. Exactly what a TV version of this American Life should be like, it will be interesting to see if they can really make it something new for television.
7. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists: Living with the Living. Possibly Ted Leo's finest to date!
-Steve

No comments: