Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Bummer school

Hey friends! Here's a quick run down of what I've been up to and in to.
1. I've been taking a German class again, after 3 years of struggling with this stupid language, and I have to say that things are finally beginning to click. I also picked up a great book called "English Grammar, for Students of German." It breaks down German grammar and explains the quivalent in English grammar (or points out when it's just different!) I thought cases didn't exist in English, I never knew that word order and pronouns are how we express them (in German, cases are expressed using articles and conjugation, and word order is flexible. Yowza!)

2. Anna and I did a presentation on "Radness in Graphic Design" and we did a screenprinting workshop at the Johanneum in GRAZ, Austria. It was interesting working with graphic design students, because we normally work with High School kids. I was fun to give a little lecture on skateboard and punk graphics, because I'm sure they haven't seen any of this stuff.

3. Soho in Ottakring, is the annual arts festival in the 16th district in Vienna. (AKA Ottakring) There was some good stuff, but I was seriously blown away by a short film called "While Darwin Sleeps" by an English film maker named Paul Bush. An amazing piece of animation, that reminds me of Stan Brakhage but Paul Bush takes his Brakhage influence and goes somewhere new with it.

4. Ted Leo's "Living with the Living" I think it's his best so far, I think it's his "London Calling." I seriously think he should be as huge as the Clash were in 1983! Right now the world needs smart and politically informed music! Ted Leo is a rocker for sure, but he's all over the place on this record, punk, power pop, reggae, and even a little folk, make this a great mixed bag of music.
Hey! he's playing in Vienna in June!

I enjoy actually having time to get some of my art and graphics finished! It looks like we might have some new shirt graphics, and the comics zine, might actually come out on time!

Bis bald-Steve

No comments: