Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Last Day of June

I'm just doing a simple update with no real profound insight.

I see that NIKE has pulled the Major Threat campaign, which is, more or less, a good thing. I would have liked to see NIKE get more flack for it, but I guess the uproar it's caused through the indie/punk community was unexpected. Good going people.

One thing I miss about the myspace blog, is the little feature that you could tell people what you were listening to, watching, or reading. O.K. I mean it was probably some marketing scam cooked up by the people at Amazon. But it was kind of cool.

With that in mind, I'll just add that I went out and actually bought some CDs. Remember that? Laying down money for music?
After seeing them in Berlin, I was pretty blown away by WEIRD WAR. WW is an indie/punk supergroup of sorts, featuring members of The Make Up, Nation of Ulysses, Six Finger Satellite, and Trans Am. That said, they sound nothing like any of the previous bands (O.K. there is a passing similarity to The Make Up) They play a sort of politico funk psychedelic, and I mean that in a good way! I purchased their newest CD "Illuminated By the Light," while I was in the record shop, I noticed that someone was listening to it at one of the listening stations. One thing I've noticed is that on the recorded versions you can really hear Alex Minoff's guitar slashing and shredding, (guitar terminology folks!) and it becomes apparent that he's the guitar player from Six Finger Satellite, and recorded it has some of that six finger weirdness. The rhythm section is pretty solid, and Ian Svenonious is in top form as always.
They seem to be on a trip that few bands are on nowadays. Dig it!

weird war

No comments: